Friday, February 22, 2008

regularity.

Just walked into Octane, like I do most days.
Only today I was greeted by 2 baristas with a question/statement:
"So katie... I hear that you have a really funny blog."
Well, what a coincidence... because I just happen to be hilarious.


I actually read over my blog a few nights ago. The whole thing. All 60something angst-filled posts.

I don't love how much I complain. I guess I do because I feel so urgently about change.
Maybe I was harsh in my last post. But I don't feel like I need to justify that. I assume that it speaks for itself.


After losing my stash, I got copies of some of Elliott Smith's discography last night. Oh. XO! I'm listening to it right now. It's like being all alone in high school again.
Some of my favorite bonds have been made over this album.
I mean, this was practically the peanut butter that held the katie culp/brian smith sandwich together back in the day.
I don't care what you guys say. This is happy music.


For the last month and longer there have been 3 things circulating through my mind:
1. Crime.
2. Motherhood, and how that looks for me.
3. This unknown song...
This one time when I was a kid, my family took a little vacation to a cabin in Wisconsin. It was on a complex with lots of other cabins, and a recreational lodge.
In this lodge I played my first game of ping-pong, worked on legos and puzzles, and probably pet a wood bear statue.
There was this group of teenage girls who would hang out there, too. They controlled the jukebox. There was this song that they played over and over again, and I've been trying to find it.
I remember this one specific instance when one of them shouted, "Woo! It's time for the 'You're So Bad' girls!"
I remember the drums, the guitar, the melody, and the timbre of the voices singing. I remember all the grungy, brown-haired girls walking in rhythm, on top of furniture, circling a beam in the center of the room.
They sang,
"You're so bad. You're the best I ever had. Has the world gone mad? You're so bad."
It sounds corny, but I knew that when I grew up I wanted to be just like those girls. They were completely relaxed. They seemed to really understand what it meant to love something they couldn't hold.

I summon the early 90s. What is that song!?

4 comments:

Cameron Lawrence said...

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, "Yer So Bad"

katiewhitecoat said...

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just bought the song on itunes. you have no idea how blown my mind is right now.
seriously. i think my chest is going to cave in on itself.

katiewhitecoat said...

and now i realize that i had remembered the lyrics incorrectly. nobody freak out. it's actually "in a world gone mad, you're so bad."

Cameron Lawrence said...

Glad to be of service.